With Thanksgiving behind us and cooler days ahead, there is no better way to end a long day than with a healthy and satisfying bowl of soup. Executive Chef Josh Tomson has shared one of his favorite recipes that is both satisfying yet nutritionally dense for those cool fall and winter nights.
White Bean & Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice or old bay seasoning
- 1 (32-ounce) box low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 (4 –ounce ) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can sliced carrots, drained, or two large carrots, peeled and sliced
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, cajun spice mix and cook 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale, tomato paste and tomatoes (and fresh carrots, if using) and cover. Cook 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans and canned carrots and heat thoroughly. Serve hot.